The Solomon Islands Government (SIG) scholarship program offers fully funded scholarships to assist Solomon Islands citizens to gain valuable knowledge and skills to contribute to the human resource development needs of the country. Scholarship recipients are expected to use their skills and knowledge to actively participate in the economic and social growth and prosperity of Solomon Islands.
Type of Scholarships available for 2024
There are two (2) categories of Scholarship choices that you may wish to apply for, are indicated below:
- 1. Pre-Services Category
- ->School based
- 2. In-Service Scholarships Category
- ->In-service Public Sector
- ->In-Service Private Sector
- ->In-Service Teaching Sector
- ->In-service Open/Closed sector
1. Pre-Service Sector Scholarship Category
The Pre-service sector scholarships are for applicants who have no prior qualification and are not employed. Applicants who have prior Bachelor’s degree or diploma qualification are not eligible to apply for this category. Those eligible to apply may apply to any of the following sub-categories:
- a. Form 7 School Base and USP Foundation students
Form 7/USP Foundation student in 2022 with a minimum GPA 3.0 and above.
- b. The Pre-Service Self-Sponsored Category
Self-sponsored category is available to self-sponsored applicants who are currently enrolled in 2023 and have completed 1 year in a Bachelor Degree or Diploma with a minimum of 8 courses successfully completed. This category is available to in-country programs and institutions only available in the SITESP 2024, and is not applicable for overseas institution.
- c. Skills Development/TVET Scholarship
Skills Development Scholarship are for applicants who have completed a Cert III qualification or are currently enrolled in a Cert III qualification at an approved RTC. Those intending to pursue a Cert IV at SINU must either have completed a Cert III qualification or have completed a Form 6 secondary level.
- d. Pre-service (Constituency category)
Constituency scholarship category is available to all potential applicants of a constituency. Applicants for this category must follow merit-based selection criteria applicable to all pre-service applicants. Successful applicants will be sent to Members of Parliament for confirmation.
2. In-Service Sector Scholarship Category
- a. In-service Public Sector category
This scholarship is available to applicants who are currently employed in the public sector. This category is relevant to all employees from Government Ministries who want to pursue further studies. Eligibility criteria includes a completed and signed standard endorsement form from the candidate’s supervisor, a completed CV and qualifications obtained from prior training. Candidate must be 45 years or younger to be eligible for an undergraduate degree, 50 years or younger to be eligible for a Master’s Degree and for PHD applicants, age limits do not apply.
- b. In-Service Private Sector Scholarship Category
In-service Private Sector category are for candidates who are employed in the private sector. This category is relevant to all employees from all private entities, companies, SOE’s who want to pursue further studies. Eligibility criteria includes a completed and signed standard endorsement form from the candidate’s supervisor, a completed CV and qualifications obtained from prior training. Candidate must be 35 years or younger to be eligible for an undergraduate degree, 45 years or younger to be eligible for a Master’s Degree and for PHD candidates, age limits do not apply.
- c. In-Service Teaching Service Scholarship Category
This type of scholarship caters for serving teachers who have been teaching in schools for more than five (5) years and wish to upgrade their professional skills, knowledge and qualifications, subsequent to their initial training. The applicants are expected to complete an online application form, which must be accompanied with a signed endorsement from their respective Education Authorities. Candidate must be 45 years or younger to be eligible for an undergraduate degree, 45 years or younger to be eligible for a Master’s Degree and for PHD candidates, age limits do not apply.
- c. In-Service Open/Closed Category
- 1. SIG Scholarship online application opens on Thursday 10th of August 2023 and close on Tuesday 26th of September 2023 at 11:59pm local time.
- 2.SIG Scholarship online application platform can be accessed at: https://www.sitesa.gov.sb
- 3. Eligible candidates given conditional offers MUST meet the requirements of the offer to be awarded Scholarship. Be advised that a conditional offer does not guarantee scholarship award.
- 4. A request for change of program is not permitted except for the program shown on the award letter.
- 5. If an awardee wishes to change program or institution, he/she will forfeit award and apply in the next scholarship cycle.